It is basically a links directory where you can add the link for your own website into one of the many categories that they have after registering for their service.
After that they require you to do your share of visiting people's websites which in turn makes people visit yours.
If you go to 30 websites from their directory, from any category, and review 5 sites, choosing one of them to be your favourite, and make one comment on the forum, then you have done your maximum daily amount.
- It takes ages to visit 30 websites. It is not possible to just click through quickly, linkreferral only registers your visit once the whole website home page has loaded.
- It also takes ages to leave 5 reviews on other people's sites which are helpful and meaningful.
- Because the forum comments are perfunctory, the forum is full of thousands of comments, but does not have the feeling of a proper community. A bit like a dance for shop dummies. They are dancing, but they don't know why they are there or whether they are having fun or not.
- From time to time, someone visits your site who just 'doesn't get' what you do and what you are all about. This person just leaves a low score or a poor review and this can knock your ego a bit.
- Another bad point is that sometimes you come across a website which is so interesting that you find yourself so absorbed with reading it and forget to visit the other 29 and one link leads to another and...
Linkreferral leads you to discover hundreds of other websites. These are often other blogs, or money-making websites, or anything you can imagine. You can leave comments on their sites and so build up your backlinks and they in turn visit yours.
- You do not have to do every part of the requirements, just surfing a few of the sites lets you work your way up the list of sites in your category. The secret is little and often. Since people have to visit 30 sites, if you are on the first page, then the chance are higher that you will get a visit.
- You start getting visitors almost immediately you join.
- People come to your site and leave a review. This means that they can spot something obvious that you may have missed, and it also gets tested out by lots of different browsers and computers who can comment on how fast your images load etc.
A directory website like this is very useful for making contacts and link building because you are able to send direct emails to the website owners.
Unfortunately, the actual referral programme is not that great. They ask $50 to join and pay $0.15 cents per referral, so you need to refer at least 334 people before you even get your $50 back.
But on the whole, it is a great way to generate a steady stream of traffic to your site, who are interested to see what your site is like and can review it for you.