Blog Archive

Monday 9 January 2023

7 ways to combat decision fatigue

All I was doing was trying to buy a jar of instant coffee. But there was so much of it!

And it wasn't just any jar of coffee, it was for a friend. So, obviously, I wanted my friend to think that I was cool and only bought the hippest coffee (I'm old).

I needed my friend to know that I am someone who can be trusted to buy good coffee. 'Will my friend mind that it's instant?' I was thinking.

But I also need my friend to know that I am good with money. I don't know why, I just do. And also, because I was buying a whole jar of the stuff, I didn't want to lumber my friend with some disgusting slop that made him think bad things about me everytime he had a mug of insipid, weak, pale brown liquid.

So there I was: Standing immobile, staring at jars of coffee

Completely unable to make a decision.

I had decision fatigue.

Too much choice!

Have you ever turned the corner into the coffee aisle, (that's right, aisle), or the cereal aisle? It looks like we have quite a lot of choice.

It looks like you can choose from a baffling assortment of combinations. Doesn't it? But can you? And how much does it really matter?

Modern-problems like these can slow us down, even stop us in our tracks. But how do we combat this problem of constantly having to choose between some quite similar products or options.

Here are 7 ideas to help if you catch yourself experiencing decision fatigue:

  • Take a deep breath and remind yourself that this is just a decision about coffee, not a life-or-death situation. The world will not stop spinning if you make the wrong choice.
  • Flip a coin! It is true to say that some of the coffee, although branded very differently, might even have been produced in the same place.
  • Close your eyes and point to one of the options. When you open your eyes, whichever jar your finger is pointing to is the one you should choose.
  • Go with what you've picked before. Is there a brand or a taste that you liked before? Is there one that your friend always buys? Go with what you know is good. In small decisions like this, you've already done the hard work: you made that initial choice, maybe went through a couple of duff ones before deciding. Go with what works.
  • Consider the "five-second rule." If you can't decide within five seconds, just choose the jar that you can grab the quickest. Speed is key! Don't waste time deciding. No need to waste extra cogitation on life's simple decisions.
  • Or, conversely, pick a completely new, outlandish thing that you have never picked before. I know! Brave you. Turn your back on the tried, tested and true and choose a new brand that might just be your next favourite thing. One of three things could happen:
    • It might be amazing and a new experience - well done!
    • It might be no different! As I say, lots of the same product are branded as different.
    • Or, it might be truly horrible, a proper memory you have to share with your friend - 'Remember that horrible coffee you bought once?' 'Yes! Haha!'
  • Ask a friend or loved one to choose for you. They might have better luck at making a decision than you do.
  • That's just what happened! In the end, my son caught up with me, saw me there, blankly staring at the jars and just picked one up at random. This broke the spell and we moved on! I don't even remember which coffee I bought, just that I had a great time with my friend, drinking a lovely, hot drink!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    What did you think? Will it help you to survive?

    Subscribe me

    free web site traffic and promotion